Saturday, August 21, 2010

Astragalus

Astragalus or Milk Vetch, is an herb used in Chinese Medicine and is known as Huang Qi. It was not an herb I had originally studied in Wise Woman Craft. A friend of mine introduced it to me and it has been an ally for many years now.  I used the herb to help me with chronic sinus infections and migraines.  I found that it took a year for my sinuses to completely clear and infections were moving out for that entire time.  I use it to boost my daughter's immune system when she is going to school and I find it keeps the flu or stomach virus away. If she does get something it is never as severe as what her friends seem to contract.  It has been found effective in treating cancer, diabetes, digestion problems,  stomach ulcers, and high blood pressure.  Astragalus can have interactions with blood thinners, high blood pressure and diabetes medications, and immune system suppressors. Do not take astragalus if you have a fever as it can raise the fever.  

No comments: