Friday, October 16, 2009

IMMUNITEA


There are many varieties of a good tea for cold season. Most recipes include honey and lemon. I like to include astragalus, ginger, green tea and lemon balm along with my honey and lemon. You can change the make-up of the tea and include warming spices like cinnamon, cloves, and a pinch of allspice. Here is my version:
Two Tablespoons of Astragalus
One Tablespoon of Ginger (I like to use fresh slices- but dried can be used)
A few slices of fresh organic lemon peel.
If you want to uses spices such as cinnamon, cloves, and allspice you can add it here- remember to use sparingly -about 1/8 of a teaspoon- a little can go a long way.
One quart of water
Simmer 20 minutes-covered
Turn off the heat and add one tablespoon of Lemon Balm and two or three teabags of green tea - allowing to sit another 20 minutes. If you feel the green tea will be too bitter sitting for 20 minutes you can make it separately allowing it to steep for 2-3 minutes then add it to the rest of the tea. Add honey to taste and if you like it more "lemony" you can add a slice of lemon to your cup. This can keep in the refrigerator for 24 hours, just heat it up before drinking it. Remember that this tea might make you perspire, which is fine when you are really ill. It will soothe your throat and coughs too.

~Original Artwork by Hester~ Available on Cafe.press - Greenfirewoman.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I’ve tried all sorts of coughing syrups, believe me, but none of them helps. Even though Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa www.geocities.jp/ninjiom_hong_kong/index_e.htm does not eliminates the cough I like to stick to this chinese syrup I’ve been taking since I was a kid: Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa. My grandfather is chinese, so I guess my mom got the advice from him. I was really surprised when I found that chinese market selling it here in Belgium. It does have a refreshing, soothing, sweetening effect…as long as it lasts…then back to coughing mode.